Document Scanning Guidelines
Most online applications through this system will require you to attach documents. The following information will help you with converting your paper documents into electronic files that can be uploaded through the ISSS portal system.
Please follow these guidelines when converting your paper documents to electronic images. If your attached documents do not meet the guidelines you will be asked to re-attach the document.
- Acceptable file types include PDF, JPG and PNG. (PDF is always preferred) Do NOT attach a Word (DOC) document
- Unless otherwise specified, multi-page documents such as I-20s should be converted into one PDF file that includes all pages
- Documents must be legible full color and clear
- Important information such as passport numbers, visa numbers, dates, etc must be easy to read
- Rotate images so they are oriented correctly (not upside-down or sideways)
- Please crop images so unnecessary background content is kept to a minimum
- Make sure you have included the entire image. Do not cut off the edges
- Photograph your document: A smartphone or camera may be used to take a picture of your document which can then be transferred to your computer and uploaded to the portal. In addition to the scanning guidelines above, please see the following tips:
- Place the document on a plain, contrasting background so the edges of the document are clear
- Place the camera as close to and directly above the document as possible while making sure to get the entire document
- Ensure that the camera focuses correctly on the document so the photo is in focus
- Pay close attention to any reflections or shadows that may make the document hard to read
- Scanning your document: Many people have access to desktop scanners or copy machines that have scanning functions. You can see a list of UT campus computer labs here. You can also use a scanning app on your smartphone. Please follow to the scanning guidelines above and see the the following tips:
- Scan directly to a PDF file type if available
- Do not attach unnecessarily large files with high resolutions
Remove any files you save on public use computers. Make sure to delete your files and also empty the Recycling Bin before leaving the computer.