Skip to content


International students must consult with their International Student Advisor BEFORE beginning any type of employment/internship/volunteer work to verify eligibility.

Employment opportunities for international students on the F-1 visa are limited by regulations of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

Employment is available only to students who are in good academic standing and maintaining their non-immigrant status.

Note: F-2 dependents are not allowed to work in the US.

These are the employment opportunities available to eligible F-1 students:

On-Campus Employment
F-1 visa students are permitted to work on-campus. Work hours are limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session. Students are permitted to work more than 20 hours per week during vacation periods when school is not in session. International students can only work for the University and must be paid through UT's payroll office. On-campus job listings are posted on Handshake and you can click this link for a On-Campus Job Search Guide

Practical Training
An F-1 student may also be eligible for practical training directly related to their studies if they have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis at the University of Tampa for one full academic year. F-1 students are eligible to apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorization for an internship on- or off-campus. Students in their final semester can apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT), a one-year work authorization after completing their program of study. 

Off-Campus Employment
Do not accept any off-campus employment, whether paid or unpaid. Immigration authorities consider unauthorized employment to be a serious violation and a deportable offense. Off-campus employment is available only for a student experiencing severe economic hardship caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond the student’s control, and students must first apply for this authorization. Check employment eligibility with the Office of International Programs.

International students may only participate in certain types of volunteer activities. Please see our site here for more information.

Unauthorized Employment
 If an F-1 student does not follow the terms of the non-immigrant visa status as stated in the regulations, the F-1 student’s SEVIS record will be terminated. After termination of a student’s SEVIS record, the student must depart the country immediately.

The U.S. government takes illegal employment very seriously, so it is important to reiterate this message:
  • Students should consult with their DSO BEFORE starting on-campus employment, or any other type of employment, whether paid or unpaid
  • Students must obtain a DSO authorization on the Form I-20 BEFORE starting Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Students must obtain a DSO recommendation on their Form I-20 and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) authorization AND an  “Employment Authorization Document,” (EAD) BEFORE starting any other employment
DSO means “Designated School Official”. These officials are responsible for enforcing the F-1 student visa regulations compliance. At UT, they are also the International Student Advisors.