If you are in F-1 status, the Program of Study section on page 1 of your I-20 indicates the program completion date of your SEVIS record.
If you are in J-1 status, item number 3 of your DS-2019 indicates the program completion date of your SEVIS record.
If you will not complete your academic program by that program end date, you must apply for an Extension of Program of Study before the end date indicated on your I-20 or DS-2019 document. You may lose your lawful F-1 or J-1 status and all associated benefits if you: (1) fail to apply for an extension before your I-20 or DS-2019 expires even if you have a valid reason for extension; OR (2) you apply for an extension but do not meet the requirements for an extension.
Eligibility for Extension
A student is eligible to apply for an extension if s/he meets the following criteria:
- The student has continually maintained F-1 or J-1 status.
- The need for an extension is caused by compelling academic or medical reasons, such as change of major or research topic, unexpected research problems, or documented illness. Academic probation or suspension is not an acceptable reason.
- The student applies for extension before his/her Form I-20 or Form DS2019 expires.
- Submit online I-20 Program Extension request:
- As a part of the online application, you will be required to submit the following:
- Electronic recommendation to your academic advisor to verify your eligibility and your new expected completion date. The verification must be completed before you submit the request to IPO.
- Proof of funding dated within the past 6 months to cover tuition/fees/living expenses to be paid during the extension period.
- Copies of most recent I-20 or DS2019, valid passport, visa, and most-recent I-94 record.
- Make sure you have also applied for graduation in Workday.
- After you submit your completed application, your International Student Advisor will review. If approved, your Advisor will complete the extension request in SEVIS and issue a new I-20 or DS2019 showing the amended end date, amended financial information, and any remarks that may be required, and you will be notified.