Skip to content

On-Campus Employment

International students on the F-1 visa, who are enrolled for full course load and maintaining their F-1 student status, may work part-time on campus while classes are in session. "Part-time" means no more than 20 hours per week. International students may work more than 20 hours/week during school breaks or vacation, as long as they are enrolled for full-time course load for the following semester.

F-1 students do not need immigration authorization to work on-campus, but must first verify their eligibility through the Office of International Programs. International students can only work for University offices and must be paid through UT’s Payroll Office.

To find on-campus employment, visit Workday. You can also click here for the On-Campus Job Search Guide. Once you are hired, your supervisor will complete all required forms for on-campus employment and begin the on-boarding process in Workday, according to UT policies.

Instructions for on-campus employment (international students):
  1. Receive offer for on-campus employment position
  2. Complete and submit the online "On-Campus Employment" request. To access this, click on "Forms/Requests" on the left side of this page, then click "F-1 Employment Requests" then "On-Campus Employment"
  3. The International Programs Office will verify if the student is eligible for on-campus employment and will notify the Student Employment Coordinator in the Human Resources (HR) office
  4. The HR Student Employment Coordinator will verify the job offer and provide the student with the employment letter to request a Social Security Number (SSN)
  5. Bring this employment letter to your International Student Advisor to sign (Plant Hall room 300)
  6. Your International Student Advisor will also give you instructions to apply for the SSN

NOTE: Graduate assistantships are considered "on-campus employment" and therefore are also limited to 20 hours per week. During vacation periods and academic breaks, you may work more than 20 hours/week on-campus, if you are returning to classes the following term. 

Students may not work on-campus after completing your course of study. If you are continuing for another educational program, consult your International Student Advisor.