Skip to content

Severe Economic Hardship

If you are suffering a severe economic hardship due to unforeseen changes in your financial circumstances, you may apply to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for authorization to work off-campus. Source: [8 C.F.R. 214.2(f)(9)(ii)(C)-(D) and (F)].

These circumstances may include:
  1. Loss of financial aid or on-campus employment without fault on the part of the student
  2. Substantial fluctuations in the value of currency or exchange rate
  3. Inordinate increases in tuition and /or living costs, or
  4. Unexpected changes in the financial condition of the student's source of support, medical bills, or other substantial and unexpected expenses

Eligibility Criteria

F-1 students are eligible to apply for employment based on severe economic hardship if:
  • The student has been in F-1 status for one full academic year
  • The student is in good academic standing and is taking a full course load
  • Employment will not interfere with the student's studies
  • The student can demonstrate that the employment is necessary to avoid severe economic hardship due to unforeseen economic circumstances beyond the student's control

How To Apply

First, please contact your International Student Advisor to verify your eligibility.

After speaking with your International Student Advisor, you can apply for authorization for Severe Economic Hardship authorization by clicking on "Forms/Requests" link on the left side panel of this page. Under "F-1 Employment Requests" click "Off-Campus Employment - Economic Hardship".

Carefully read and complete the application as instructed.